Monday, May 17, 2010

Mooi Pre-Opening Party

Although I was looking forward to the Mooi opening in Echo Park tonight--the raw, vegan resto apparently has some salivating-worthy dessert items--I was none to impressed by the inadequate supply of food. Truly a let down for as long as the "Mooi coming soon" sign has lived on the store front. The "tasting" should be taken as literal since there is not more than a bite offered to maybe the lucky dozen who are quick as a fox to snatch a little goodie off the trays, which were toted around by two people. In truth, I'm not a vegan, but I often eat vegan as part as any other cuisine like you would Mexican or Thai.

A couple colleagues--including Eco Vegan Gal--of mine went so far as to ask, "If this a preview tasting, where is the food?" The food did come out but in clusters that were carried on tiny trays and promptly grabbed by the first 10 hands near the kitchen. So much for actually testing this well-reviewed catering-turned-resto. I hate to be such a critic, but here's some nice things ...


Mooi's doorway for the night was the side door (instead of the ground floor entrance on Sunset) and offered a fun, dramatic entrance down the staircase.

Although I love getting out and meeting new folks in town, the atmosphere, as one of us quickly noted, was "a weird vibe." It seemed more individuals were there to be seen more than to eat. Lame. Folks, I was there to eat! What's more I felt slightly rebuffed by the owner, who was more than happy to meet and greet with fancy-looking people, over this writer (ahem, and my colleagues), who will NOT be reviewing his place. Sorry. You gotta be willing to put in the work. No food and now, you don't even want to talk to me for a minute about your food? Why do people just expect others to default to thinking you're cool because you're "aloof?"








Even, poor overcrowded hipsters had to hover over the seven tables and odd chairs, which left many awkwardly (and drink-less) standing. 

OK, back to the nice stuff. What I liked about the interior was the varied selection of antique lamps and oversize, ornamented mirrors--reminded me of mine at home.

This was the best shot I could get of the food--what I could snag--and nope, it didn't offer much taste or thrill. Much of vegan food is also cashew-based, which, frankly, can get tiring after four or five mini bites of these. I've had more exciting vegan, raw food (hello, M Cafe de Chaya). A bit lackluster was the consensus among our writer group. 

Probably the best thing to happen this night, was the funky-fun music, which offered enough upbeat classics that my friends and I were more than happy to sway along to before calling it a night--sans the Mooi. Here, I am with yourdailythread.com founder and friend, Tracy Hepler. 



No comments: