Saturday, May 15, 2010

Aim High, Swing Loh

I recently interviewed radio host Sandra Tsing Loh of KPCC. It was for the May Women in Arts issue, which I thought featured an elegant shot of art consultant Merry Norris--whose repertoire includes working as a collector for downtown's MOCA and aiming to get Shepard Fairey for the West Hollywood library.
I had a fun time talking with Ms. Loh, she is an amazing conversationalist (I would hope so if you've hosted your own radio show on KCRW and KPCC) and enjoyed telling me about her time at Caltech, being Caltech's first alumna commencement speaker, how she made it to the top and stayed there and of course, how she and her writers every week create the fast-talking "Loh Down on Science," which offers equal components of wacky, science sound bites and pop commentary. Tomorrow, I am attending a test pilot live performance of Loh's public radio quiz show--an invite extended to me post interview. Should  be fun and stimulating.

Please check out my story on Loh and leave your comments for christ's sake. And if you have more time, listen to one of my favorite of Loh's programs, Escape from Wholefoods (it's in four parts), an episode where she ventures into Pasadena's gargantuan Whole Foods on Arroyo and sees if she can escape without buying a single thing. Didn't know this, apparently my local grocery store (if I can even call it "local") is the largest Whole Foods west of the Mississippi. Wowzer.
 

No comments: