Friday, June 11, 2010

Sitting Down with Lisa Ling

This week I had an opportunity to sit down with journalist Lisa Ling. The Oprah and National Geographic correspondent talked with me about her recent involvement with Doors of Hope (DOH), an important shelter here in the San Gabriel Valley. DOH is one of the few shelters in the country that allow families, who are experiencing financial issues and homelessness, to stay together. It might seem surprising to you but most shelters separate the men from their wives and children--creating a disturbingly effective backlash of splitting up a lot of these families. An experienced reporter who's seen devastation at every level, worldwide, I asked Ling why she became involved with this little shelter in Pasadena. She explained that over the years, she was being drawn more and more to report on domestic issues, which she felt were not being talked about enough. She was first introduced to DOH after doing a SoCal Connect segment on a couple in California, who had gone from the American dream of five cars and a big home, to being left homeless, all the while dealing with having their first baby and facing potential divorce.

I found Ling an extremely genuine and kind person to talk with, particularly about a topic that every American should know about and understand, though may try to forget as quickly as possible. That same day of our interview Ling was speaking at a luncheon to benefit Doors of Hope. During her speech, she spoke about people witnessing America's homelessness every day, but then offer nothing but inaction and disregard. At this, Ling reminded the audience with words that Oprah once shared with Ling on the same topic, "Now that you know, you can't pretend that you don't." 

Larry Steele and Lisa Ling

I catch myself observing people--on the street or wherever--who have to face a bleak situation every day, thinking how challenging it must be for them to get up every morning ... and then 10 minutes later, I default to having a "I have no power to do anything significant so I won't do anything" attitude. I think now might be a good time for me (and maybe you) to start remembering not just Oprah's impacting words, but the words of those around us who are asking for our help, right now.

Look for my article with Lisa Ling in the coming months. I will post an update here.

No comments: