Friday, April 23, 2010

Tête-à-Tête with Tim


Yesterday afternoon I was assigned to go talk with America's favorite style guru, and host of Project Runway Tim Gunn, who stopped in Pasadena. Gunn, the three-year Chief Creative Officer of Liz Claiborne, parent company to Kate Spade, offered colorful advice on style, attire tips and of course, what to expect from the colorfully monochromatic brand this season. Gunn's San Gabriel Valley landing attracted dozens of stylishly coiffed women and men - armed with complimentary champagne -- all whom literally filled the Colorado Blvd. shop to the doorway.

"This is a very fabulous Kate Spade-looking room," proffered Gunn, who spoke at length on style tips and color choices, dropping his infamous lines, "Make it work!" and "Don't disappoint me!" to an enthusiastic crowd. Seriously, everyone was all smiles as they caught a glimpse of the famous Parsons and fashion icon who's mentored countless now-major designers. I sat down with Tim for our tête-à-tête, where he discussed his first visit to Pasadena, being the Liz Claiborne CCO, finding the silver lining and responsbility among this economic downturn and getting the right value for the dollar. Mid-interview, Gunn even offered a quick compliment on my feather earrings. I found Tim to be one of the most genuine interviewees I've had, contrary to working (I'm guessing) around fashion divas, Tim offered a firm handshake or two and caring smiles before and after our interlude. He was one of the first high-profile interviews to also tell me back, "thank you, it was a pleasure talking with you." I'll post it here when my story comes out next month. Until then ...






No comments: