Monday, February 01, 2010

The Julie & Julia Effect

Just finished watching and enjoying "Julie & Julia." And of course, from a writer's perspective, it is happily inspiring. Julie Powell went from cubicle secretary to published author reviewed in the New York Times. The book, turned into a movie, and now, she's likely doing fine in life. And still writing. Although I may not want the same outlined career path as Powell, the thing I'm most attracted to with her story, is that she went for it, and wrote CONSISTENTLY even if she didn't have a "technical" deadline from any editor. She did have a deadline for herself. One morning she simply choose to actually start meeting her deadline for life everyday. I'd like to call this the "Julie & Julia effect" and challenge myself to start making my life's own deadlines - everyday.

How is that not genuinely inspiring?
Cubicle-occupant-turned-author Julie Powell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.